Friday, June 19, 2015

Universal Design for Learning and Assistive Technology

       

     In this week’s article and video on universal design for learning, provided me with great ideas and tools to help all students with diverse learning, and particularly those with special needs. In the video, Universal Design for Learning, it discussed the three main components to universal design: representation, action/expression, and engagement. Representation is important for teachers and students because it shows students information in different ways. Action and expression allow students to challenge themselves with learning tasks and perform what they know in various ways. Engagement offers options that engage students and keep their interests. This is important for all teachers to perform in their classrooms for their students’ learning success.  In the article, I found many helpful tools and ideas to help all students, such as, Bubble, ieSpell, and Microsoft office 2007 Smart Art Plug. I also learned that it is good to keep a healthy communicative and understanding relationship with your IT department at your school because it is important that your students’ needs are met. This will also help by creating your school into a successful AT environment that students will love to learn. Before reading this article, I never knew what disk imaging was. Now I understand how helpful resources are for students with learning disabilities and how easily accessible it can be too because of disk imaging and Microsoft Installer. 

           

            I worry that because that I went to private school all my life, I lack the experience of having special needs students in the classrooms. As a future educator, I do not want this inexperience to make my teaching in special needs a weakness. With the help of assistive technology and universal learning design, I can make teaching special needs students a strength. My boyfriend has learning disabilities and he excels in online courses over traditional classroom setting. I have great faith of what assistive technology can do for students with learning disabilities. I understand that I also need to create a great relationship with the IT department. I can also use assistive technology and universal design for all students in my classroom. In addition, I feel that I will also use the provided educational tools and sites for my future classrooms to provide diverse learning for my students. Lastly, I felt that the universal learning design video very much reflected my philosophy as a future educator.


Ahrens, K. (2011). Build an assistive technology toolkit.Learning & Leading with Technology, 39(3), 22-24.

No comments:

Post a Comment